ART IN THE HOLLOW 2017
5th Annual Outdoor Temporary Installation/Sculpture
Competition and Exhibition
Saturday June 3, 2017
We are seeking art works to grace wild and lovely Swede Hollow Park during the annual daylong festival Art in the Hollow on June 3, 2017. The competition is inspired by the spontaneous work of Erick Wiger, a local glass artist and founding Art in the Hollow Advisory Panel member. In 2012, while presumably tending his exhibition booth in the park, he surprised and delighted everyone by hanging a whimsical, sparkling mobile in a quiet grotto. Everyone was struck by this wonderful union of art and nature. Accordingly, we are calling for works designed and placed in relation to specific settings, adding a new dimension to our pursuit of art in action at Swede Hollow Park. Artists are invited to walk the park, refer to maps, photos, and consider what it will look like in June.
Preliminary submissions Due by 4pm, Friday May 12,2017
Judging will be “blind”: submissions will be reviewed by title, not artist’s name.
Criteria are: relationship to the natural surroundings, quality of design, execution, and originality.
Selected works will be displayed in Swede Hollow Park during Art in the Hollow.
Selections will be made on Wednesday May 17, 2017.
Works will be judged the day of the festival.
Selected artists will install their works in the park by 10am, on Saturday June 3, 2017
Three of those selected works, will receive cash prizes. In addition, there will be a “People’s Choice Award”.
TERMS & REGULATIONS
• Applicant must be a Minnesota resident, no age limits.
• Preliminary entries must be the concept drawings, PDF’s, .jpeg’s, or photos of original, existing or planned three-dimensional works conceived in conjunction with or applied to a specific location in Swede Hollow Park.
• Applicants may enter any number of works; the entry fee is $15 per submission.
• Entry Cards must be completely filled out.
• Friends of Swede Hollow reserves the right to use images of submissions for publicity.
• If selected, artworks will become part of the 7th Annual Art in the Hollow event, to be installed by the artist, on site for display from 10am to 5pm on Saturday, June 3, 2017.
* Artwork must not endanger the safety of the installers or Art in the Hollow attendees.
From the selected exhibition pieces, a judge will award three prizes on the day of the Festival at 4:30pm. Criteria are: relationship to the natural surroundings, quality of design, execution, and originality.
First Prize: $300, Second Prize $200, Third Prize $100.
People’s Choice Award: $100. Based on Audience voting.
All awards will be announced at the Festival at 4:30 pm, Saturday, June 4, 2016. The winning artists will receive awards and recognition as the official winners of the 4th Annual Art in the Hollow Temporary Installation/ Sculpture Competition.
DECONSTRUCTION/RETRIEVAL OF ENTRIES
Saturday, June 3, 2017, 5:00pm
Please retrieve your work at 5:00pm.
PRELIMINARY SUBMISSION PROCESS
Submissions and $15 entry fee are due by 4pm, Friday May 12, 2017.
Electronic submissions are encouraged.
Please note: all submissions will be presented to the judge “blind” and judged by TITLE only. The artist’s name(s), wherever they appear, will be temporarily masked off during judging. Please TITLE your work using the format below for your ENTRY CARD.
Phone (H) _________________________ (W) ________
Materials used ___________________________________________
Please include the following with your ENTRY CARD:
- One to Three Images for each entry. These can be in the form of jpegs (no larger than 1MB each), PDF files, sketches, models, or photos.
- A Brief Written Description of the project not to exceed 300 words.
- $15 entry fee must be received in the mail (address below) by Friday May 13, 2016. This is not a post-mark date, so please allow sufficient time for USPS delivery.
Electronic Submissions e-mail to: RomiSlowiak@gmail.com, Romi Slowiak, Co-Manager of Art in the Hollow. She will forward the work and its title ~ not artist’s name(s) ~ to Mary Johnson, Sculpture Contest Manager.
or by mail: Friends of Swede Hollow, 668 Greenbrier St., St. Paul, MN. 55106
delivery: to same address as above ~ call first: 651-776-0550. Karin DuPaul, Co-Manager, Art in the Hollow.
No submission will be considered until the $15 entry fee is received either by mail, or hand delivery.